Insulation

Where to start?? There were so many things to consider before diving in and building. Unfortunately planning has never been a strong point for me so I have been wingin’ it for a lot of this build. Some of which has gotten me into trouble but for the most part there’s been a solution.
One thing I knew I would most definitely need was a roof vent so I started there. I now wish I didn’t cheap out and get a basic one but they are replaceable so maybe one day I’ll upgrade.
Basically all this entailed was cutting out a perfect square in the roof using a jigsaw and dropping the vent in. Of course it did not go that smoothly for me seeing as this was my first ever project on the van. I over thought this whole ‘putting holes in your new and very expensive toy’ thing way too much at first but one of the many things I have learned is the more you put holes in your van the easier it gets. Several hours and trips to the hardware store later it was done.

Next up was insulation which of course helps with temperature control but also with sound dampening. Driving that tin can down the highway sure was loud before.

Step one was the fun part, demolition! Okay, it was really only fun for the first 10 minutes then it got hard and breaking the paneling into garbage sized pieces was even more of a pain.

What we found behind the paneling was, surprise, surprise, a lot of dust and dirt! Yay!

The floor was the easiest of all the insulating since it only had one layer, 1″ durafoam board. However pulling up the floor and cleaning the filth that was underneath it was no walk in the park.

The walls were a 3 layer process and a bit more complicated. The first layer was foil backed bubble wrap. This has a couple of purposes. Mainly it stops condensation from forming on the inside of the van as it gets cold outside and the airspace in the bubbles slow down heat transfer so there is some insulation power there too even if it is small. We used Elmer’s spray on glue (powerful stuff!) and lined the walls and ceiling.

TADA! It’s a spaceship now!

The middle layer is fiberglass. Fun! Who doesn’t love working with fiberglass, am I right??
Safety first!

Phew, fiberglassing complete. I didn’t take any photos of the ceilings final layer but you can kind of see it here (1″ durafoam boards).

Then we needed a vapor barrier to prevent the fiberglass from getting wet and in turn becoming moldy. Tyvek Home Wrap and clear gorilla tape did the trick. This part was boring so pictures weren’t really taken. This one shows it a bit. Stoke seems more concerned about his Mom waving around that loud, pointy, spinny thingy again though.

Last up were the wheel wells. Stoke models the wheel well homes we built which would later get stuffed with fiberglass and boxed shut.

And 3 days later it was done!

Bumble Beast Home

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>